Garando: "double sigh..."
I miss the glorious bento days when I still had that "magic bento box" Garandee gave me.
Why magic? Because since then, I always had the best lunch boxes ever in my entire life! Enough to make me very popular around the office. Ok, only 5 people knew about it, but I guess that's popular enough.
Nevertheless, nothing's more authentic than having a Mongolian make my Japanese Bento.
This is a tribute to some of the best the bentos that have come and gone. May their memory live forever in my sophisticated gut.
1) Chicken, hard boiled egg and radish boiled in a soy sauce based stew.
2) Baked Greek Kofta with shaved almonds
3) Salad with no dressing (I spilled it all over my desk)
1) Sauteed sweet & spicy chicken, Chinese style
2) Fried spring rolls, Japanese style
3) Salad: Greens with tomato and steamed broccoli with no dressing (I misplaced it)
1) Nikujaga: Sukiyaki beef, potatoes and konyaku stewed in a sweet soy sauce broth.
2) Rolled chicken breast katsu with mozzarella at the core
3) Steamed broccoli & a deep fried minced chicken ball
(this came with Exhibit #3)
1) Lumps of Japanese rice topped with furikake and pickles
2) Steamed broccoli & deep fried minced chicken ball again
1) Beef yakiniku
2) Deep fried prawns covered with sliced almonds
3) Rolled tamago
4) Rolled cold cuts with boiled asparagus at the core & the biggest bean I have ever seen in my entire life
If I didn't heat my magic bento box in that blasted microwave in our office pantry I would still be living the dream.
Not much Garandee can do with a warped triangle bento box. Now I have to settle for recycled plastic take-out containers.
At least it's microwave safe!