Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Tabo

I dread the days when I get some really tough questions from Garandee that I normally would not have to deal with if we were of the same nationality. Take for instance the first time she used the toilet in my apartment...

She came out of the toilet holding something in her hand and asked me, "what is this?"

the tabo

Garando: "uh, that's called a tabo"

Garandee: "I see. What is it for?"

Garando: (sigh, i knew that was coming....) "it's uh... used for a special purpose."


Garandee: "Oh really? like what?"

Garando: "You don't have those in Japan do you? Well, that comes in handy whenever my ceiling leaks during the rainy season".

Garandee: "Oh i see...but you don't live on the top floor."

Garando: "uh, right. Well, I use that to water plants too."

Garandee: "but you don't have any..."

Garando: "Let's go, we're going to be late for the movie!"

I can't blame her for being overly curious about that mysterious plastic artifact we filipinos keep lying around our toilets because when I used her toilet in Tokyo I found this...

toiret
control panel

Neat...the higher models might even have a button for automatic tampon removal.


Garando mode:
I love weekends!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try looking for the song "Tabo" by Grin Department. It will help you explain. Haha.

Garando said...

Haha Thanks Ryx! I'll check it out. Might come in handy when her mom finally comes over.

I should buy a new tabo....

Anonymous said...

pick one in a darker shade.. you can see the grime on this yellow one already. hehehe

Garando said...

Good point. But I'll try cleaning it first with my ICHIBAN "Spotless" all purpose cleaning paste. Somehow I've grown attached to this tabo after using it for over 5 years already...

Anonymous said...

I thought dippers were a common bathroom accessory in Japan? I've seen them use it loads of times...

Anonymous said...

for reference,
Japan has dippers, but we use it for washing a body at a bathroom, not at a toilet.
by the way, a bathroom and a toilet are separate at a common Japanese house.

Anonymous said...

Random trivia: toilets like hers have been actually available here since about 5 years ago (toto/roca/i forget which was the german brand... the starck guys) was doing interior design for a Korean back then and he drove me nuts looking for suppliers for that one... ridiculously expensive too! Though it could warm the seat, and prolly its cheaper now.

Garando said...

@twishinky

Cool! Sango uses the same toilets in their restaurants, and apparently they had the numbers of the suppliers. I sure hope it's cheaper now...can hardly wait till I move into my new condo next year because that toilet is at the top of my list!