Saturday, December 6, 2008

Jansson's Temptation

The other day I thought I was just going through the usual morning routine, not knowing a suprise was coming as I sat down at our breakfast table. After my brain finished booting up, I rubbed my eyes after noticing our breakfast was so much kawaii (prettier) than usual.

temptation 02

Garando: "ooooh... what's thaaaaaat? (with a yawn)"

Garandee: "JANSSON's TEMPTATION!! ...and my pandesal."

Garando: "Johnson's what?"


Jannson's Temptation. According to Garandee it's a Swedish recipe that's very popular in Finland. But what's interesting is that she was more excited to tell me about the legend of the dish than have me eat it already. So I had to put my fork down and gave a listen...

temptation 01

Garandee: "Once upon a time, there was a monk who was vegetarian..."

Garando: "I bet his name was Father Jansson. Now can I..."

Garandee: "Don't interrupt me! So... he made this gratin dish made of onion, potato, milk, and cream. But still something was missing, so he could no longer resist the temptation to add the final secret ingredient that will make this dish ICHIBAN (No.1)!!"

Garando: "so... what was the ultimate temptation?"

Garandee: "ACHOVIES!!"

Garando: "ooohh... well better that than Angelina Jolie or else he'll be in much bigger trouble."

Garandee: "Hai! Douzo!! (help yourself!)"

temptation 03
a closer look...

I finally got to try it and it was AWESOME! One of the best gratins I've ever had. Creamy, yet the potatoes were firm and chewy adding some variety to the texture. Then the salty anchovies were spot-on, like bago-ong on your Kare-kare!

temptation 04

It's perfect with Garandee's homemade pandesal!

Garando: "Thank you, darling! That was mucho excellente!!"

Garandee: "Welcome! Next time I will make GARANDO's TEMPTATION!!"

Garando: "Oh really?? Wow, I'm flattered! so what's the secret ingredient for that?"

Garandee: "... NATTO!!!"


Garando mode:
NYOOOOOO!!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that like a pizza? it looks so yummie!

the pandesal too. if it's ok with garandee I'd like to ask for the recipe of the pandesal. :)

may pandesal ba sa japan? just curious.

Garando said...

@kg

nope, not a pizza, para syang.. hmmmm.. baked cream pasta na hashbrown ang ginamit instead of pasta. uh.. ok, maybe that's not the best description I can think of, but it's very close to a gratin. :D

Recipe? Basta ikaw! I'll ask Garandee and email it to you. ;)

Not sure lang about pandesals in Japan, I doubt it, but I'll go ask her muna ha and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

thanks! my email is decastro.grace@gmail.com!

Anonymous said...

Wow super sweet nyo talga...lalo na si wifey. :)

Garando said...

@kg
You're welcome! Thanks for sending the address. :)

@jeanny
Hello! Thanks for dropping by! yeah, Garandee's always a sweetie... except kung may kasalanan ako. hee hee :D

Alice said...

Beautiful presentation! Makes me hungry all over again even though I just had dinner...

Garando said...

@Alice Teh
Thank you! I'll make sure Garandee sees your compliments!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
First of all big congrats on your wedding :).
I enjoy your blog very much, you can publish it in a book later and I'll buy it for sure.

By the way, can you share the recipe (also the chicken wing's recipe)?

Send my regards to garandee :)

Garando said...

Hi Gondo! Wow, I had no idea you were reading my blog! Thank you, thank you! I'm really glad that you're enjoying my posts. Garandee knows you well since I talked about you a lot when I was there in Jakarta. Come to think of it, I already miss that Padang restaurant! :D

I'll email you the recipes. Do send my regards to your wife. Hey, let me know whenever you're in Manila ok? Let's go watch a gig again :D

Anonymous said...

oooooh yummy. :D

Can i be invited over to eat sometime, hahahaha :D

Garando said...

@twishinky
Of course! But wait until we get to move to our new place. My current apartment is nakakahiya because it's such a mess. :D

Anonymous said...

Natto? Waaaahhhh...run and hide!
Hehehe, no offense, Garandee.
The food looks fabulous! May I invite myself to a meal in your place?

Garando said...

LOL! They should probably give medals to non-Japanese people who can eat natto. Thanks! Garandee's very shy, maybe if she starts her little carinderia, i'll definitely broadcast it here. :D